Changing More than DiapersNanci Hersh
One print at a time.
Art for Social Change as defined by the Leeway Foundation is:
“… art with a vision.
It is an artistic or creative cultural practice that may operate in traditional or
nontraditional mediums, modes, or disciplines. Art with a vision impacts people in many ways. It can:
• Raise consciousness
• Alter how we think about ourselves, our society, or our culture
• Create a vision of a more just world
• Be a tool or strategy for organizing and movement building
• Preserve or reclaim traditional cultural practices using one’s artistic practice as a form of resistance or empowerment
• Create space for expression and build a sense of community
• Challenge racism, classism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ageism, ableism, or other oppressions
• Question mainstream culture and beliefs
• Shift or transform the perception of power and/or privilege and the dynamics associated with justice, equality, and/or
• Engage and utilize a reciprocal process—where there is teaching and learning simultaneously and the consent for
engagement is mutual as is the benefit for yourself as an artist and the community you are engaging “
Thursday was my first session with the Teen Mom group at The Garage in Kennett Square headed by Lisa McMain.
7 Moms, 6 Babies, lots of extra helping hands from wonderful volunteers, including photographer Carolyn Viens who took these photos of our session.
What changes have you made lately?